Tuesday, July 17, 2007


I am finally coming out of the Katrina dreamland that I have existed in for two years now. Sure I still ride around looking for progress almost every day but things have become more realistic to me. The homes that are being rebuilt are more beautiful than what existed before the storm but the discerning part of me sees the hopelessness that must exist for a great percentage of people on the coastline. There are so many rules that we must all follow to succeed in life, I agree with that but morally I can't accept that we shouldn't help people who, for whatever reason, can't help themselves. I am not just talking about what is happening here but all over the United States there are "haves" and "have nots" Many faith based volunteers have come to offer their help but the procedure, in my opinion, that they have to follow excludes those who with just minor work could help themselves. For example, they rebuild an entire home for a person but on either side of the house they are working on there may be people who if they had help putting the sheetrock up could then repair the rest of their home. Someone else may just need help with flooring or a roof to give them the "jump start" they need. I don't believe a volunteer would object to that method at all but they would have to be given the freedom to go where they see needs. It would certainly speed recovery for the people who have been in the miserable trailers for two years.

There is something else I would like to say ... browsing around the internet I many times enter forums and people have such terrible thoughts about what is going on down here. They will say to stop whining you didn't have a hurricane, New Orleans did. Yes Sir, Yes M'am, we did have a hurricane and it was far worse than what New Orleans experienced. I have my own opinion about why Mississippi didn't get good coverage on what happened here. I still am of the same opinion, perhaps it was because Katrina wasn't a normal hurricane. Perhaps, if the people in the United States had seen what a destructive force hit us it would have shaken their own fears for their safety. Last August my daughter miscarried and last September I was diagnosed with thyroid disease. Want to hear my way out idea on why these two things occurred so close together? Because we were here during Katrina and we waded in water that contained every contaminant known to modern man. I search for info on the health hazards that would result because of this and I have yet to find anything. The concern has been put solely on our mental health. Why do I feel lied to? Don't we have a right to know? I went out today so I snapped a few pics.




Pascagoula P.O. Gone

Park Taking Shape at M&M Bank

No comments: