Thursday, July 12, 2007

There is only one other thing that is hotter than the month of July down South and that is the month of August down South. It hasn't rained in Pascagoula for the past four days but amazingly my flowers are still alive, although a little scorched. A steady drizzle would be nice .. I don't think my nerves could handle anything beyond that. Yesterday I went to the doctor complaining that I was extremely tired again. I have a thyroid problem and was put on synthroid and for several months I was feeling great. I wasn't to come back for a year but I called for an appointment as I knew something was wrong. I got the results of my blood test today and the dosage was raised as the level of the hormone was out of whack again. I should be feeling like my old self in a couple of weeks. I know we all have to get something but I was sure hoping I would be the exception. Darn it! Well, here we are two years out from Katrina and we are still recovering. Katrina has, I believe, taught us all a lesson. Not the lesson of "Get out when a storm is in the Gulf". It goes deeper than that. Not only has it taught us to reach out to people, countless volunteers from all of the states have extended helping hands to speed our recovery. They work hard and the joy that radiates from the people they help is all the payment they want. There are so many stories of miracles in our areas, some great, some small. I met a wonderful couple yesterday and the husband gave me a book on local people's experiences during the storm before he left for an appointment. His gracious wife took me through their beautiful home they are rebuilding. As we talked, I listened to what she experienced on returning to find her home destroyed and I noted that the things that were lost didn't take priority over something that had belonged to a loved one. She possessed a calmness of spirit that was pleasant to be in the presence of. Afterwards, I drove around taking pictures. went home, took a pain pill that was prescribed to ease the pain in my legs. An hour later I was pain free but was so sick with an upset stomach that it wasn't worth it.
Beach

Beach

Beach

Beach

Beach

Beach

Beach

Washington Avenue


Washington Avenue

No comments: