Friday, December 09, 2005


I have taken a break from writing about Katrina as we have entered the Christmas season. We are all suffering hardships to some degree. Those who lost a loved one are especially hurting at this time. Christmas is called the season of love and rightfully so. We give and we receive because there is love. Most importantly, we celebrate the birth of Our Lord. Faith in Him will turn the catastrophe that hit our beloved Mississippi Coast into a bright new world for all of us.

The poem below is one that I wrote about Christmas' past in my home.

My home at Christmas is a sight to behold
All tinseled out in ribbons of silver and gold
Front door wreath welcomes all
Who may come to call

Warmth of a cozy fire entwines
And enhances the scent of cinnamon and pine
The smell of Christmas plays a big part
With the memories I hold in my heart
Twinkling lights cast a magic spell

On Christmas’ past for some to dwell
When all our dear ones were here
Enjoying the same fun and cheer

Presents laying everywhere
Decorated with color and flair
Yarns of red, gold, green and blue
Garnish gifts from me to you


Alabama’s “Christmas In Dixie” fills the air
Sending wishes to people everywhere
From my house to yours I send
This message too, my friend


Delicious food of beef and ham
Perhaps a leg of lamb or something gourmet
Could be on the menu this special day
Chicken and oyster gumbo as the main course
My mother’s family recipe the source


Fine wines to enjoy and savor
Gives food a better flavor
Homemade fudge, pies and cake
Something of which all can partake


Grandchildren listening for Santa’s reindeer
Cause radar tracking says he is near
Visions of toys dancing in little heads
As they sleepily snuggle in their beds


Sitting on a side table
Is a moss covered little stable
In humbleness a little “babe” lies
As a man on a rugged cross he dies
Obtaining for us paradise as the ultimate prize!


Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant!! Puts me in the Christmas spirit for sure.. I remember those Christmases afterall. :) Merry Christmas!

BayouMaMa said...

Enjoyed your poem! And I thought only Cajuns enjoyed a good chicken and oyster gumbo on Christmas! *chuckle*

Ruth said...

bayou that's what my Christmas' past use to be. I grew up on all the gumbo's. I use to make my cornbread stuffing with oysters. Maybe I will again one day.