Tuesday, December 20, 2005

So many people from all around the United States have generously helped stand us on our feet again. We have come together as united people, no boundaries can separate us.

Many years ago, I married a young guy from Chicago, Illinois. A midwesterner but I referred to him as a "Yankee". When he took me to his home to meet his relatives my words became even more slurred as my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth. Maybe it was because they would say, "Listen to her Say something to them". I didn't know until much later that they found my drawl rather charming.

So the poem below was inspired by all of you midwesterners. Actually, any of you that haven't a southern accent. Although I still believe that "Yall" works better than "Youse", I extend my hand to "Youse" guys.


Charming is my soft drawl
When I say things like, "Come back yall"
Means I am saying goodbye to more than one
An invitation that leaves out none

Midwestern husband began to correct my every word to help me speak my best he said
At him, many times, my eyes sparked fires of "red"

He used his dialect as the proper way to speak
Making the art of language so sleek
"Youse" he would say sounds better than "Yall"
Have to confess that between us this caused a brawl

Soon had me speaking like him
Thinking before I spoke made me sound so prim
All my southern charm would disappear
But enunciation was clear

Eventually, I had enough and spoke rough
When provoked a southern girl can get tough

"I AM FROM THE SOUTH"!!!
"NOW YOU HUSH YOUR MOUTH"!!!


Thank you! God Bless You!

2 comments:

BayouMaMa said...

Love your poem! Ever heard of John Piper? He's a preacher who writes advent poems...they bring me to tears. His site is www.desiringgod.org. If you haven't already heard of him, you'd probably like him.

I'm really enjoying your blog. :-)

Ruth said...

Thank you bayou. I will take a look at John Piper's poems. I intend to get back to writing about the storm but the holidays had to be taken care of first.