Monday, December 26, 2005

Well Christmas is over and I am glad. Was more depressed than happy. I did attend church and thanked the Lord for my family and prayed for all the hurting people in our area. My unhappiness stems from comments coming from people in forums. It seems as though if you didn't totally lose everything you own that you have no needs. If you had a large beautiful home that was reduced to a "slab" you still have no needs. The consensus seems to be that you can build again. Good grief! With what? Pay two mortgages? No flood insurance to help. Get real people. Not possible! This isn't the time to be petty. It is a time for us to reach out to one another and share the different problems we all have. Three of my four daughters suffered losses in varying degrees.

Last week, I volunteered four days of my time to help at a distribution center. The wonderful people of Minnesota sent beautiful clothes (new) to help us all. I met various people and felt empathy for each of them. My point is that they were from all walks of life and their needs were great regardless of the positions they held prior to Katrina.

Let's work together! Volunteer and serve the people of the coast when you can. We can overcome this grave adversity by walking hand and hand into a brighter future.

God Bless Us All!!!

2 comments:

BayouMaMa said...

Oh it's so frustrating to hear insensitive comments like that. What you said is true...how can they pay a mortgage on a house that is totally destroyed and pay rent as well? Many of them don't even have jobs anymore because their businesses were destroyed as well. Yes, they will rebuild or move on...but it is scary to start from scratch...not to mention coping with the loss of family members and possessions.

These people need our prayers and aid...I applaud you for volunteering and doing your part.

Ruth said...

Thanks again bayou! I love to reach out to people. It is a joy to do so.