Monday, December 05, 2005

Still no relief on August 31st. We had jugs of water but we desperately needed ICE. The tremendous heat and humidity was beginning to affect all of us. Something as simple as ice was uppermost in our minds. There was no electricity, running water, or telephone. A decent meal could not be cooked as grill had been under water. Oh yes --- we had cans of potted meat, spam, crackers and pork "n" beans but still we were hungry!

We were dirty and tired. The heat was sapping our strength. I was the older one in the family and on three medications to control blood pressure. My medications would not last much longer. It wasn't a senseless oversight in preparation on my part as phamacist's will not let you stock up on drugs. No blame people ---- who could have known the disaster that would befall our beloved Mississippi.

Insects were invading the house. Mosquitos, beetles, flies and the dreaded ROACH! A praying mantis took refuge on ceiling in the kitchen. I was thankful that there were no snakes!

More to come ........

3 comments:

BayouMaMa said...

Did you have any water in your home?

BayouMaMa said...

Never mind...just read the post under this one. So sorry that you had all of that mess to deal with...especially with children. How are they doing now?

Ruth said...

I stayed with my daughter during the storm, her husband and children. Their home was gutted on bottom floor.
When I start writing again I will get to the part where I find that my home survived.