Thursday, July 27, 2006

I have managed to not write for almost ten days but an article I read today has me riled up. You can read the article in its entirety at my daughter's site Fema Bans Reporters From Katrina Victims

Although the incident took place in Morgan City, LA, I believe that the rules would apply wherever Fema trailers are located. Throughout my previous writings, I have been consistent in my concern for the citizens and the deplorable conditions that they live in. I do not fault the national news for their lack of coverage but I do find fault that the PEOPLE have not been given a voice to report the actual happenings. In my way I have tried to do just that but what is one lone voice compared to thousands. This morning I went looking for the "dwindling" trailers they are reporting. I actually found another park that I didn't know about on Wright Avenue in Pascagoula. The three pictures below is my attempt to show as many of the trailers that I could.




All the other trailer parks that I have shown you in my blog are still there. Let's not forget the trailers that are on empty devastated home sites or nestled up to somebody's damaged home. There are thousands throughout Pascagoula. To look at the big picture, try visualizing them in Louisiana and parts of Alabama too. Horrific, isn't it?


Since this involves Fema, it brings one other concern to my mind. When unprecedented Katrina dealt her mighty blow, Fema gave out emergency money to people with the announcement that it didn't matter if your home was destroyed or not. It was to help ALL in the area to have cash on hand as banks were not operable etc. Now they are claiming "fraud". I was eligible too but I didn't claim mine because I didn't want to stand in the long, hot lines. Even credit card companies got in touch immediately and delayed any payments due for a month and to call if you needed more time. Just being in the disaster zone and living the nightmare was considered hardship. But ... human nature being what it is, after the dust settled but not the misery, things have gotten back to normal everywhere but down south. We still need help, the people do. My daughter goes to her mailbox each day to see if she has been given a grant as do thousands of other people. Is it not torture to make them wait for a form letter to tell them what they got or, worse yet, that they didn't get anything?

No comments: