Saturday, June 30, 2007

Gulfport, Mississippi

I spent Friday and most of Saturday with my daughter Peggy who lives in Gulfport. As promised, I took pictures around the area. My mind, as we drove around a city that was my home for a number of years, was filled with flashbacks of happy times spent there. Many of the downtown buildings are there ... some restored, some still damaged. The beach is very barren, very few homes have returned. Some are under construction amidst a jumble of weeds and remnants of debris. The trees that once lined the beach gave relief from the hot summer sun to the homes nestled under their branches. So many trees are gone, leaving a barren look. One bright spot, palm trees have been planted in the median along Hwy. 90. There are no words that I can use to describe what I saw today. Some of the pictures are uplifting, many are not. Still we go forward .. inch by inch!


VA Hospital

No comments: