Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Struggling In The Wake

I am so weary speaking about Katrina and the many problems the "storm" inflicted upon us. I watch our local news on TV, read our local papers and very seldom have I seen or read anything that is uplifting. In a neighborhood in Gulfport, a man killed two people in his search for money. Yesterday morning in Moss Point, two precious little children died in an apartment fire. All three counties on the Coast have had many of their citizens move, the largest percentage being the older people who can't take on a mortgage again. Thousands are still existing in Fema trailers and those who have tried to repair or rebuild are having problems with unscrupulous "fly by night" contractors. The car wrecks in our areas are increasing with many fatalities. In Moss Point, almost every night I hear the wailing of sirens as they respond to some disaster.

Speaking of car accidents, I had a wreck last Tuesday evening and reported my car wasn't damaged. An insurance adjuster came to my house today to inspect the car. I have over a thousand dollars worth of damage to the front. The bumper took the impact but not without consequence. I was so relieved that the body of the car was not crushed that I didn't even consider anything else. I called Crown Dodge and they said to bring it in. My daughter's too small for a large family mini van is "For Sale" but it was offered to me as my back up car. I would show you a picture of the van but I left my camera and garage door opener in the car. Did I mention that Katrina has made most of us absentminded?

No comments: