Tuesday, November 21, 2006


Today was an ordinary day, not much happening. The daughter and I made plans that we would go to the store in the evening to shop for Thanksgiving fare. I suggested that we meet at her house and we take our own cars as I was tired and wanted to just get home with the groceries and hibernate. I noticed while driving to her house that the traffic was unusually heavy. Perhaps they were preparing for Thursday as we were. I was driving behind the daughter and as we reached the street leading out of the subdivision, she turned left on to Ingalls Avenue. I waited for a steady stream of cars to pass and just when it cleared for me to turn left, I saw a car that pulled from a side street on to Ingalls. It was approaching from the right. I only had to wait for this car and I could proceed. There was no signal from the car that indicated a left turn would be made on to the street where I was waiting. I inched a little closer into making my turn and WHAM !!! I hit him broadside as he turned. He sort of shortchanged the turn, came in at an angle. He was a kid of about 16 or 17 going to pick his girlfriend up for a date. He asked me what did I want to do. I said to call the police.

My car set higher than his and as he made the turn he slid along my left bumper. His side door was pushed in and his window shattered. My car's bumper has minor scratches. I think they are minor. I will know more in the morning light. A female cop came and she said there had been many accidents in Pascagoula within a short period of time. I didn't mention what I just told you. I gave my insurance info and said I hit him. In actuality. it was a toss up of who hit who!

My daughter backtracked to find me and saw two accidents before she found that I didn't even make it out of the subdivision. I brought my car to her house and we drove back to the store together. So a day that began as uneventful, ended on an eventful note. One never knows!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm just glad you're okay. Love you.

Ruth said...

Thanks Anita .. I wasn't even jolted and very thankful the air bag didn't kick in as it would have scared me to death.