Friday, November 24, 2006

Two Holidays Merging

I have been coming back and forth to my PC since early morning with the intention of blogging about the Thanksgiving holiday. So here I am giving it one more try. The day started out with a temperature in the upper 30's and gradually rose to about 65. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. The sun was out and there was a nice breeze. Anita, Dave and their four children were invited to come to my home as repairs have started in their kitchen and who can prepare a dinner without operable appliances. Anita's Blog They arrived before 9AM as there were some dishes that my daughter wished to prepare.

The children were on their best behavior but we all know that if what they are being model kids for doesn't happen soon .... they tend to get very cranky. The picture below shows their mood. Well George's and Yvonne's mood as William didn't seem to care. How can he sit like that?

At this point, if you are reading this, you must be saying "Hey I thought we were talking about Thanksgiving, there's a Christmas tree in the background." It has been a long standing tradition in my family to have the tree up at Thanksgiving. Makes sense to me as these two holidays are so close together and one must use the extra time to just untangle the strings of lights. This year I decided to get a pre lit tree and build a closet around it to cut out some of the hassle that comes with putting a tree up. After assembly my hassle free tree didn't light in the middle. We changed fuses but to no avail so we untangled a set of colored lights to give light to that dark part of the tree. Why didn't I return it? Have you ever tried to get anything that was bigger than a bread box back in the carton it came in?

Dinner's ready!!! I told the kids if they would mind their manners at the table that they could decorate the tree. They sat at the table very mannerly although Yvonne did a few things that you would expect from a three year old.


Dinner was delicious and everyone had a dish that they especially liked. Now it was time to keep my promise to the kids. They were thrilled. What mother doesn't remember her own children and the things their kids put on the tree. Paper chains, styrofoam balls with toothpicks stuck in them and strung popcorn that brought out bugs from their hiding places.



Baby Emily joins in!!



We had a nice Thanksgiving. It was, without a question, many steps above last year's celebration. We bowed our heads in prayer for people all around the states with hopes that they enjoyed the day with their familes. Especially remembered were the people here in our own state of Mississippi and all the volunteers that have come to our aid.

I leave you with, "Get those lights untangled, the most wonderful day of the year is nigh, Christmas"!

2 comments:

The Smiths said...

I love your candor about your family !!!! The pictures are one in a million.
Happy Thanksgiving !! We all have soooo much to be Thank-FULL for !!!

Love n Hugs, Mel

Ruth said...

Well thank you Melanie ... Thanksgiving was very nice for us this year. My immediate family I mean. Many other people haven't been as fortunate. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also!

Hugs right back at you,

Ruth