Thursday, May 11, 2006

Coast Is Clear!


The above pic is of our coastal skies yesterday and after taking several snapshots I found that not one could depict the haze that dipped so low. People with breathing problems were advised to remain indoors. Since I didn't think I fit that category, of course, I was outdoors more than indoors.

We didn't receive the above advisories until calls from concerned citizens were made to local officials asking what the chemical smell in the air was. I smelled the "chemical" also but the smell of low lying "smoke" became overwhelming to me. Never in my life have I had a "nosebleed", until yesterday. I constantly wiped "grit" from my eyes.

Lately, for some reason, the storms are forming over our entire state with not only frightening weather but very unusual weather. An explanation was given to us that, due to the line of thunderstorms occuring in the other counties, a cap or lid was on top of the coastal area causing the stagnant air. In time, the storms would break through the "cap" and the weather would explode in our area. That's calming isn't it? We didn't have to wait as long as predicted because one formed in Hancock County and moved east along the coastline dumping a deluge of rain on us. This began at approximately 11:00PM with a substantial wind and dangerous lightning. It eventually receded. At 1:30AM it repeated itself. At 2:30AM it made yet another appearance. How can I be so precise you may ask? Do you think I was sleeping? I don't think anyone was, especially the people in the trailers.

It is 8:15AM Thursday morning, the air has cleared the sun is out, a brisk wind is blowing and the blessings of a gorgeous day are ours to enjoy!

No comments: