Sunday, May 21, 2006

Saturday Night Dead

I have no internet connection at this time so I am writing my next post offline in Microsoft Word and hopefully will post it on Sunday. Although I know with the massive damage to telephone lines and cable connectors that this will happen at unexpected times, the patience I have been drawing on for almost nine months has run out of reserve. Oh yes! I am grateful that I survived the actual storm and the miserable days immediately following but, let me tell you, nothing prepared me for how drastically my day to day living would change. It has become an existence without purpose. How much more are the people with families enduring? What agony they must feel.

The American people have been so generous with their money and time trying to help "dig" us out of the aftermath of the catastrophe but there are some that are not so kind when it comes to spending federal monies. I have read articles on how we are taking the taxpayers money and that our State should take care of its own. Oh Gee! I am a taxpayer too and have already paid my taxes for 2005. If the people writing these articles think that the money they pay in each year for taxes shouldn't be used to help us then I think I have a right to say that the substantial amount I paid to the federal government and the state be given to my daughter and her family to repair their home.

All the coastal cities are slowly looking better as the debris is removed but there are many problems that have arisen as a result of this storm such as lack of work, inadequate housing, damaged schools , bridges and road repair, shortage of doctors, daycare for children and nursing homes for the elderly. How about the senior citizens who lost their paid for homes? What do they do?

The storm did not exempt us from the normal expenses for food, gasoline, clothing, college tuitions and taxes. As americans we pay for the same things as you. Unfortunately, we encountered the unprecedented (unheard of) fury of a storm named Katrina and our lives were turned upside down.

For awhile, we felt we had been forgotten until people from every state in the country came to our aid. Mississippi thanks you as does this lady in Pascagoula, my hometown.

No comments: