Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Yesterday I went on one of my drive's with hopes to find houses under construction in Pascagoula. It is only by God's blessing that I haven't totalled my car. Although there isn't much traffic, there is enough for me to be a possible nuisance. I get so engrossed in what I am doing that I have been guilty of just coming to a halt in the middle of the street to get a pic. Many times I have looked up and a car is patiently waiting behind me. I think they are beginning to recognize that it is me.
Beach Boulevard

Beach Boulevard

Beach Boulevard

The Corp of Engineers, working with Fema, needed written permission to enter properties to clean up debri or demolish a home. Many people were displaced to other states and weren't able to return to see if anything could be salvaged from their destroyed homes and then there were those who existed in a state of inertia after losing all their possessions and the Right of Entry form was not signed. After missing two deadlines, it was up to them to clear their property. The Corp offered to help with the slab debri if the homeowner would get the concrete to the curb.


As most streets have no identifying signs, I can only tell you that the vicinity was the surrounding areas from Beach Boulevard and Washington Avenue. The next pic was apparently to prove a point that elevation will not work for all homes. On closer inspection, the houses showed no signs of residency.


Now on to new construction. I was able to get pics of the beginnings of more homes. Whoever these people are, I admire their "grit".


Each time I venture out to see what happenings are taking place, I have been hoping that I would come upon the "perfect" picture. I am speaking of the enormity of a situation not the capabilities of the one taking the picture. Note my sideview mirror.

On my way home, right before my eyes, there it was , the perfect picture. I have a pic of this small blue painted house on my blog as when I first saw it I remember feeling especially sad about someone's home. A bulldozer was there ready to begin demolition. I stopped long enough to see the huge claw come down on the house. The sound of the claw's force crushing the house was like nothing I had ever heard. I drove away just as the claw lifted to strike again. I didn't take the "perfect" picture but it will always remain in MY mind's eye.

No comments: