Tuesday, May 30, 2006

To Narnia and Back

Memorial Day weekend is behind us now and the reality of our lives has returned to its new normal. Our family picnic, the concert at beach park and the wondrous fireworks display were all successful in giving us a sense of how a normal life used to be. As we sat on the seawall and looked at the scene before us, it was as though I was watching a stage play. The orchestra was nestled amongst the stately oaks and the lamp posts, lighting the park, were like those in the movie "Narnia". The finely sifted sand was gently blowing as it would have all those many years ago. If only the oak trees could speak. They have been here for hundreds of years and what stories they could tell. The sound of babies crying and children playing on the beach added to the beauty, they are our future. A perfect evening that could have taken place many times in our state's history. My thoughts travelled back to my ancestors living in the Civil War era and my many relatives living today. I felt the presence of not only the living but of those who had once gathered for an occasion as we did this evening.

The reservations that I have had for the past three years on coming back "home", after spending almost a lifetime away, became a certainty that I had made the right choice. This is where I wanted to be.


Despite the news articles saying that we in the coastal counties came out to only find entertainment after our long months of nothing but problems because of Katrina, is not all of the story. We came by the thousands to remember our brave young men who have lost their lives in all the wars that have been fought. We honor their bravery and dedication as we mourn their loss. When the music played the appropriate song for each branch of the service, there were cheers and lots of tears. Each branch would have held a special meaning for each person. Although my husband died of cancer, mine was ....... "Off we go into the wild blue yonder ...".

To see what my daughter and I were up to yesterday in regards to our fallen heroes, please go to her site and read Memorial

Thank you for reading my posts and although I am growing weary, I shall continue. Despite the delays, Mississippi is bravely hanging in there to be able to remain and live in the state of their choosing.

No comments: