Saturday, June 10, 2006

GCN - General News Update

GCN - General News Update: "The U.S. Census reports that they estimate nearly 50,000 people have left the Coast's three counties since Hurricane Katrina. That figure may be too high report some local officials who believe the census figures do not represent people that will be returning to their homes later. The report showed that Harrison County lost over 30,000 people.

The U.S. Census Bureau this week released post-Katrina population loss estimates for South Mississippi. They are:
County 2005 2006 Change
Hancock 46,240 35,129 Down 11,111
Jackson 134,249 126,311 Down 7,938
Harrison 186,530 155,817 Down 30,713




While it is certain that many people have left the Coast perhaps forever, it is also true that many will return to build again. GCN received the following from a resident:

Received 6/8/06

I have lived in Hancock County for the past 19yrs. As a child growing up in New Orleans my summers were spent in Bay St.Louis. Because of that I moved here in 1987. I worked for the New Orleans Police department from 1974 until 1996 when I retired under a disability pension. I sat through many hurricanes as a child and later working some of them as a police officer. Even though we did not actually have one hit New Orleans we were always prepared (supposely). My family and I are going to live back in Hancock county but about 30 miles from the beach( our house was 2 miles north of the beach). I have seen a lot in my 50yrs but can tell you that I have never seen more togetherness between people here is Mississippi that was shown from Hurricane Katrina. All eyes are on New Orleans but I can tell you that city will never come together as the coast of Mississippi has. Maybe all the elected officials in Washington needs to spend some time on the coast and see how true Americans can work together. I am proud to be a Mississippian( transplanted) and all I can say is that we will move forward and show the rest of the World we can survive.


Randy Leitz
Perkinston,Ms.39573

________________"

No comments: