Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Hazards of Medication

I 'm back, but first I will give you an explanation of where I have been. Those of you who read my blog know that I have high blood pressure and have been under treatment for six years. On December 3o, 1998 I had a TIA (small stroke) and my left hand literally relaxed and "curled" up. It only lasted a moment. I knew what it was because I became interested in reading medical books and researching on the internet when my late husband contracted cancer, I actually diagnosed his illness before the doctors ... . well lets say I came close. I said he had Hodgkins disease and he was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma

I was kept over night at the hospital and released the morning of New Year's Eve with instructions to contact a physician and get treatment. It wasn't until after my husband lost his battle with cancer that I finally went to a doctor and began treatment in 2000. In 2003, I moved back to my hometown and had another TIA 3 months after my arrival. I was put on three medications to keep my blood pressure under control. After many side effects my blood pressure medication was changed on June 6th and on June 26th my pressure began falling to very low readings.


I arrived at the hospital at 730PM .


No I am not in the bed, I remained sitting in a chair. I was very calm as I sat there thinking, "I can't be dying, I feel too good". My daughter was with me and I said, "Anita I have my camera in my purse, take a couple of pictures for my blog".

My blood pressure stabilized on its own and after the results of the lab work done from analyzing my blood, I was told to not take a pill when I arose in the morning and call for an appointment with my doctor. At this time my doctor has taken me off the medication. I feel fine and, as I do read about medical conditions, I think the diuretic that was in the new blood pressure pill was the culprit. I was dehydrated and that's why my pressure took a "nosedive". I literally almost disappeared while feeling great.

A neurologist tested my two numb fingers and the ulna (elbow) is causing it. Can't lean on elbows for long periods of time. I agreed as I have spent countless hours on the PC.

I will continue reporting the happenings in Katrina's aftermath soon. There is much to write on that subject.

2 comments:

Swapna Padmanabh said...

Dear Ruth,
Hope you are feeling better now, and I have to say seeing a picture of an empty hospital bed, is so much better than seeing you in one! My mother has been also experiencing lots of problems with her ulna and hands. In particular, her little finger on her one hand curls up at night and she cant open it, and it remains quite painful throughout the day. She's going for tests later this week...perhaps I should get you to figure out what's wrong instead! Anyway, hope you are feeling well enough to keep blogging.
Hugs,
Swapna

Ruth said...

Thank you Swapna. Today I feel like I am in withdrawal side effects. I still take Plavix and Vytorin (colesterol one). I haven't entirely "bought" the diagnosis of the numb fingers. That is the hand that curled up and collapsed when I had whar I call the bad TIA. No need to say I am researching right? Now if I could only figure out a way to get to the medicine I need. lol

Hugs to You,
Ruth