Saturday, June 03, 2006

I Will Survive

It is 10AM and I sit before my PC trying to put my thoughts into descriptive words that will give you an insight into many issues, big and small, that make up a day in the life of ONE survivor of a disaster. Although there are many survivors of this hurricane, we each have our own particular stories to tell. You would have to read my entire blog to know the personality that I possess. It has always been one of "I can do that". .. and I do. Whether I fail or not .. I give it a try. When Katrina blew in and caused such massive destruction to our areas, there was my overwhelming desire to help so I chose to write about the storm and get as much as I could out to the public on what has happened here. I did volunteer work, for a short time, to help my neighbor and, by far, the most asinine thing I attempted, without formal training, was to become a self made journalist. At first I was just writing about my experience, as I thought it would be great therapy but, when my daughter presented me with a digital camera, I became serious about depicting the local happenings complete with pictures. You may have noticed that I blog many articles written by real journalists. So this is a formal disclaimer to say I am not certified. Also I would like you to know that although I live each day in a disaster area, I do not get to put my name on a waiting list to get help as I don't qualify for anything, but still I wait like everyone else. The many volunteers who have come to our state in the last nine months can not go door to door and ask how they can help you, they must go through the proper channels. So, at times, I struggle.

I love working in the yards but there are days when I do not feel up to the task and before Katrina I would hire someone to come and do the job. That has become an impossibility now. My equipment is a riding lawnmower and an electric weedeater that does not cut the grass, it flattens it. My rider is a heck of a lot of fun to ride but there is a slight danger to me as the front yard is on an incline. I fear it will throw me off one day and run over me. Sounds like paranoia doesn't it? I agree, but you see, a week ago last Thursday I went to the metal cabinet in the garage to get a light bulb to change a burned out one in a lamp. When I opened the door all the contents started spilling out and in my attempt to stop some of the breakage, I injured my wrist and part of my hand. At the top of my hand you will see a white clean cut line which is actually missing flesh.


At the present writing it has healed nicely. I intend to disguise the missing part with a tiny bandaid. So you see, if changing a lightbulb can do this, can you imagine what the lawnmower could do to me. The job I did today was relatively simple except for the fumes I inhaled while spraying, with intent to kill, the weeds growing in the cracks in the driveway.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Hi and thank you. Happy to see that you have conquered the comment successfully. lol My hand is recovering and besides it is my left one that I hardly use. "smile" I am impressed that your father was a Rear Admiral. Promise I won't give up.

Ruth

Swapna Padmanabh said...

Ack your wound looks nasty! Glad to hear you are recovering though. I, too, would be afraid of the riding mower, but then again my overwhelming desire to race down the incline at the highest speed possible would probably win out and I really would throw myself off in front of it and manage to run myself over. At least it would be something noteworthy to blog about!

hugs,
Swapna

Ruth said...

Hey Swapna... You know... I think you have given me an idea. There are so many funny things that have happened in my life, some I caused and some I wish had never happened. lol I could start a second blog using an alias. Years back in Biloxi, husband and I went to see Morey Amsterdam, a comedian on the Dick Van Dyke sitcom perform. I thought his act had ended so I jumped up quickly to shake his hand and to my "horror" I was in the "spotlight" with him. This huge circle of white light surrounded Morey and ME. lol No need to say that I will never forget the evil stare he gave me. How dare he put a damper on my one moment in the spotlight. lol

Ruth said...

Hi Goat, I think that you may be using this post as an out click to somewhere. If it is you, how about stopping for awhile and leaving a note. If it isn't you, you still can say hello. I would enjoy that.