Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Circle Of Light


Last evening there was a power failure. The candle I keep burning on the kitchen counter didn't cast its light very far so I had to figure a way to get the oil lamp that sits on top of a wardrobe in the bedroom. Total blackout creates havoc with me so the whereabouts of flashlights couldn't be determined. I couldn't take the kitchen "jar" candle with me as it would be too heavy to hold in my left hand as I tiptoed up to reach the lamp that sits on top a wardrobe. All I had to light my way to the bedroom was a cigarette lighter that has been known to explode when it gets too hot, but I chanced it. The hallway is of an average length but it seemed to grow in the darkness. The lighter was burning my thumb and I had to turn it off every few seconds to let it cool down. As I walked on into the blackness of the house, I would wonder, who else might have gained entry when the entire neighborhood lost power. I did get the lamp and I did slowly get back to the kitchen with it.

Next I went to my cell phone in my car to call my daughter whom I had been chatting with on the internet before I abruptly disappeared. Dave offered to come get me as after calling the power company and it was said they would have it back on in the wee morning hours. Of course, I refused the invitation .. they have their own problems. A little later I decided I could go myself and surprise them. The garage door is electric and I would have to go up a ladder in the dark and release a lever that would let me manually lift the heavy garage door. I decided against taking that chance as I had just survived walking with a lighter that is capable of exploding while I was holding an oil filled lamp in my hand.

I found a flashlight in my car and took it back to my bedroom and fell asleep while watching the circle of its light on the ceiling!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ROFL Mama!! I didn't think at all about the garage door!! I'm so sorry.

Ruth said...

LOL That's okay hon.. I was thinking that since your Dad died I could write another blog on the things I have had to do. This survival stuff is getting harder. lol But ... the important thing is I figure out a way to do it...no matter how ridiculous. lol

Ruth said...

Hey Goat that's a good idea..I will look in to it. I am considering changing my blog to humor. Some of the things I have done surviving on my on these past years you wouldn't believe. lol Or maybe you would. lol