Friday, September 15, 2006

Mid September

Regardless of our situation in South Mississippi, time marches on. Many things have changed but have you ever noticed in your own life that somehow they remain the same. Let me explain... the last picture I posted was the old Pascagoula recreational center that is now being used to house volunteers who come into our area to help us rebuild. As I stood under the huge live oaks to take the picture, I still saw the recreation center. The same for the courthouse on downtown Magnolia Street. I see me as a little girl in the courtyard picking a wonderful banana smelling "friscatta" off smaller trees or bushes that were nestled under many magnolias. The Ritz theater that now houses lawyers once had me sitting in the box office. Although the things I have mentioned were gone years before Katrina, I think that it is an example of how many people feel. The younger generation have memories of the Pascagoula they knew and I will wager a bet that in their later years they will remember the years before Katrina.

Our recovery is painstakingly slow ... creating a tremendous hardship on the peoples psyche. The cliche, "Take It One Day At A Time" works for most problems we may have in our lives but after a major disaster in order to maintain the physical and mental health of the people..... it must move quickly. I keep my sanity by riding around taking pictures to show you and keep for future reference as the years pass.

I was asked to display a banner on my blog asking for help for different projects that our Mississippi schools need. It certainly hasn't been successful but the banner will remain through the 30th of this month. If you can help even in a small way ... please do! Mississippi Back To School Campaign

No comments: