Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tonight as I write, my mood is pensive as I look back to what was lost to Katrina in this area that I was born in, lived in, raised a family in and loved as much as my ancestors before me. Many of you may ask why we stay after such a disaster befell us. I believe that any of us that are not transients feel the way I do. Our roots are too deep to leave. Like our ancestors before us we have stood under the same huge, mossed covered live oaks as they would have and like us they endured many hardships and still they stayed.

I have provided a link to an article that mentions my great, great grandfather, Jacob Baptiste.

Pascagoula

I would be the first to admit that it is difficult to stay in an area that is devoid of the beauty that once existed but believe, although slow, that it will be rebuilt again. The leadership in Pascagoula is to be commended for the progress they have made. I remember being impressed that so soon after the storm palm trees were planted in the median on Market Street. The Corp of Engineers removed tons of debris but the city of Pascagoula did not let any debris sit for any length of time in front of your property. Although our streets are in need of repair and, as I predicted, sink holes are developing .... still the streets are swept clean.

The saddest situation is the people that are living in Fema trailers as they await assistance from the grant funds. I have seen many trailers that are not occupied as people preferred to go back into their damaged homes rather than live any longer in such cramped space.

I like to think that all the many, many problems that we have will be overcome as they were for our strong, determined ancestors!

No comments: