Thursday, May 24, 2007

The actual construction of a condo complex being built in Pascagoula started in 2005 before Katrina made landfall. At that time there was only one unit that had been framed. With approximately three more to be built, it appears that it will be near completion before the year ends. You enter from either Martin Street or Geerkins Street which border each side. I may be wrong on one side being Geerkins but I can always change it. They are very nice and they are housing but not affordable for many. We have problems along the Coast but housing still remains the biggest. I am driving around at least three days each week looking for new construction or repaired homes. If the area was "booming", I wouldn't have to "look" for houses, would I?

When I re-read some of my earlier posts and noted how enthusiastically I wrote, I realized that my inspiration to write has subsided. Why you may ask? This storm that we were unfortunate to experience and the subsequent damage is not what my blog has been about. It has always been about the people. WLOX has an article on today about the senior citizens in our coastal areas and how much they have been forgotten. Most had lived in their own homes, some in retirement condos. When Katrina destroyed or damaged what they had, it became an impossibility for them to rebuild again or replace all that was lost. It takes near a lifetime to pay for a home and most people can't do that. It's a fact that seniors in other states wouldn't be able to do it either. Many have left the area and gone to live with family. All of the ones interviewed wanted to maintain their independence as did the ones who had to go with family members. I can understand why they feel forgotten. They deserve to spend their remaining years comfortably and independent.

Personally, I am doing well, one of the lucky ones! Mentally, I am like everyone else. My daughter had spoken with a Project Recovery person who came to her door a few months ago and was told that what was happening to us was that we were still in survival mode. When the storm came ashore our adrenaline rose in response to what was happening as it would with any serious happening in all of our lives. The problem, the aftermath has been filled with obstacles and the adrenaline stays at a peak and has caused short term memory loss in many of us regardless of our ages. It would be interesting to know the number of people here who in mid conversation stop and say, "Now ..what was I saying?"

No comments: