Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Everything is so depressing in our area that I had to force myself to go out today. Sure people are moving about ... taking care of business as usual. You and I know that there are people who don't seem to see the same things as another does. What do I see? I see the same residents that were on Beach Blvd. and Washington Ave. trying to make a comeback, I see people living in trailers outside their homes as they struggle with repairs just to make it habitable and I see glaring poverty. When I returned to my hometown in 2003, I decided to step at least onto the porch of an old house I had lived in with my parents and siblings. There was an older lady sitting in a rocker visiting with two younger women. I introduced myself and we chatted awhile. Rather sternly she said, "I hope you are not trying to buy this house because I won't sell, I love it." She continued, "Of course, it was much prettier before the highway came through and tore down homes and trees." The house was literally falling down but she saw beauty and I saw poverty. Katrina destroyed what was left of the house. No way could I have known that my impromptu visit was a final goodbye. Over the years, I have had beautiful homes and beautiful possessions. In 2005, I moved from my daughter's home and bought a modest little, old house and am quite comfortable living as simple as I do. How could I make such a transition one might ask. Simple .... I had already known poverty!

Beach
Beach







No comments: