Saturday, August 12, 2006

Looking Back......

Although I have entitled this post "Looking Back", the memory of what happened that fateful day in August will be with me for the rest of my life. That day and all the days, weeks and months that followed have now become two weeks short of a year later. It has been a very long year full of struggles and depression. At times we find humor in something and we laugh but there are, I think, more tears than laughter. All the landmarks or a favorite place to eat are no longer there. It has already become difficult to remember what once was on a certain property.

The debris removal was a tremendous job and has been cleared making the areas clean but barren. I wonder if anyone has thought of the debris as being more than just a mess to clear. It was a special debris as it contained people's homes, furniture, clothes, jewelry, photos of their familes, all of their kitchen appliances, washers and dryers, heirlooms, paintings, toys, treasured keepsakes handed down from their parents, high school and college diplomas. There was much more than I have listed. What about smaller items like measuring cups, utensils, pencils, pens, needles and thread. I think you see my point so if you should see a picture of "debris" from Katrina, I hope that you will see what I have spoken of and think of the heartache that still abounds.

I was with my daughter, her husband and their four children during the storm. For obvious reasons, we didn't take many pictures as the water rose quickly and was coming into the house. The last two pictures were taken from second floor.






No comments: