Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Well, I just came through a severe storm that seemed to come out of nowhere tonight. It came in with a blast of wind, terrible lightning and a downpour. My power went off three times and even though I anticipated power failure, I didn't bother to get the oil lamp. I had a candle burning and decided that would be enough. I actually am not frightened of the weather anymore. I realize that I may be displaying abnormal behavior but this is honestly the way I feel. I am in a state of resignation.... Que Cera Cera!!

I wonder if others feel as I do? As time marches on to a year since the storm devastated our lives, the thought of evacuating and enduring more discomfort and upheaval in my already chaotic existence, has become almost a certainty that, if I have a choice, I will not leave. Stupidity you may say.... No! .... exhaustion. I think that it is more mental exhaustion than physical. Because we don't have enough physical diversions, we dwell on the magnitude of the problems we have and thus experience the emotions of hopelessness and helplessness. Of the two emotions mentioned, helplessness is the one that is distressing to me because it is the opposite of what I and many people were before Katrina. Helpless, according to the dictionary, means incompetent, incapable and dependent on others to take care of you.

We, the people, are not in the position to make the rules. Officials are making them for us. I have said before, that if we, the people, had been allowed to rebuild our homes to the specifications of our choice, much more progress would have been accomplished and we would have been on our way to recovery. I hope there is still freedom of speech!

No comments: