Saturday, April 29, 2006

Eight Months And Counting

I think it is fitting to note that today is the "anniversary" of Katrina who entered our lives on August 29, 2005 and left us to live a life that is filled with many obstacles. Some are so overwhelming that a quick solution is impossible. On April 17th homeowners that met all the eligibility requirements began filing their applications for the State Assistance Grant Program and now, what promises to be a long wait, begins.

My almost daily rides around Pascagoula searching for what I consider newsworthy can be time consuming and frustrating. Because Pascagoula is a small city (15 square miles), that means I see the same scenes on each outing but those incessant drives have given me the ability to note any minute improvement. Beach Boulevard has been cleared of destroyed homes as has Washington Avenue but the modest homes that are on the side streets look almost as they did after the hurricane. The debri piles nearly dwarf their houses. So many are living in homes that are uninhabitable but what are they to do?

People living in tiny Fema trailers once lived in areas that had "Neighborhood Watches" and now find themselves living under some very bad situations. There have been many disturbances in the "trailer parks". Break-ins, fighting and even gunshots. Sadly, just recently a man died from burns inflicted when the propane tank exploded in one of the trailers.

Yesterday President Bush made his 11th trip to the coast. On his visits he usually goes to New Orleans, Louisiana first and helicopters over to the Gulfport, Mississippi area. On this trip, his motorcade drove down Hwy. 49, enroute to Biloxi, Mississippi to extend his personal thanks to the thousands of volunteers that have been helping the people on the coast since immediately after the storm "Thank you for coming, Mr. President!"

Now just a little about me for those who have read some of my past posts. I had written a couple about the Lamp Post at the end of my drive being damaged and couldn't decide who was responsible. To refresh your memory I have provided links.

My First Post


My Second Post

I have called Red River Services twice and was told on the second call that they would send someone to the house. After waiting a few days, I called the City on April 13th and reported them. To date, I have heard from neither.

My neighbor capped off the wiring to prevent any further damage and I can now illuminate the yard in the evening ..... minus one fixture.

Other than living in an area that lacks any beauty and watching the mold growing in my daughter's home, everything in my world is normal. A different normalcy for sure but a normalcy that I and many others have adjusted to as we try to go on in spite of the grave hardships for thousands and petty annoyances for people like me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Ruth said...

Looking beyond the disaster, we have had some good times haven't we?