Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I went out before noon today to take some pictures of the damage in Pascagoula. Please remember I am not a photographer and the day was overcast. There are no words to accurately describe what I see. The scene in it's entirety would have to be captured to show the vast devastation. How can damage to all the flooded houses be shown. Many look fine until you step inside. The buildings to the left of the old Ritz Theater building were all gutted and are under repair. Most were occupied by lawyers. The M&M Bank on the corner of Jackson Ave. and So. Pascagoula was demolished. The pic below is of the new bank being constructed. Now that's the way to go Pascagoula, build bigger and better.


The small mall on Delmas Avenue in downtown Pascagoula has been cleaned up and gutted businesses have been repaired. It is a very charming area and is worth preserving. It oozes with southern hospitality. If you can't make out the license tag on the car that I thought worthy of noting, it is TEXAS!




The next pictures depict the most distressing situation in our area. Assistance that was to start on February 20th has been delayed. I personally know people who checked the internet every half hour to see if the applications were online so they could print out the forms to enter their info and be that much closer to rebuilding their homes. Instead they got an UPDATE delaying the procedure. How much longer will they be kept in limbo?





The next picture will show you just how inept I am as a photographer. I not only forgot to roll up the window, the interior of the car framing the picture was not intentional. Thought I would tell you that. The picture was taken to show this soon to be beautiful home again as the workers complete replacing the siding.


The next pic speaks for itself. Reminded me of the children trapped in the school in the Phillipines and the unfathomable agony of the parents. A child going through disasters is the biggest heartache of all. Why the children?


In the Port of Pascagoula, like a mother hen, is the Holiday cruise ship giving refuge to people who have lost their homes. God Bless!


So folks this is my hometown that I hold dear. See our needs not only with your eyes but with your heart. The picture below is of a mallard duck that everyone knows flies south for the winter. In his migration he would have arrived after Hurricane Katrina did her damage but he stayed for the warmth. That's Pascagoula!



3 comments:

Ruth said...

Thanks Mary!

Unknown said...

Great post, Mom. And you know -- I like the picture framed in the car window... You could have just left it like that and pretended it was intentional. :) I know you see what I have been going through when I try to take pictures of the destruction... It's so hard to capture it all. It's still scary to read your post though and then stop and think that these pictures are from yesterday. Not September or October... but February. It's a long road ahead.

Ruth said...

Thanks Anita! As I was preparing the post, I was hoping that a reader pays attention that I had just taken the pics and many people are still in need. Not in the way of clothes or food, but assistance to put a roof over their heads. The pic of the cruise ship was hauntingly beautiful to me. Was built to bring pleasure to people and to our people it became a place of refuge.