Friday, February 10, 2006


Previously I had a link in this post to the Sun Herald on an article dated 2/10/06 reporting on a homeowner being delayed starting construction of a new home because some new ruling from Fema stated that any house built before 1960 had to be approved before demolishing to ascertain if there was historical value. I am happy to update that article. The homeowner was given permission for "a go ahead".

Thought this would be of interest. Yet another frustrating delay to people who are anxious to rebuild their lives. We once owned a home in Gulfport, Mississippi built in 1957. Maybe we should have kept it.

Beauvoir, the last home of confederate president Jefferson Davis was damaged by Camille. By restoration, in my opinion, it then became a replica of what it originally was. Katrina inflicted devastating damage and in its present restoration, logically speaking, "Won't it become a replica of a replica"?

Actually I have never understood what makes for historical status. I definitely know that age alone isn't the only criteria. The picture below is of the old home I grew up in along with two brothers, a sister and our parents. It existed in the 1920's and reliable sources say it goes back further in time.


Why my fixation with the old house? It is the one thing left of a once nice area. Progress destroyed the neighborhood. Memories of both my grandparents homes, as well as those of aunts and uncles, are buried under tons of concrete. Deterioration due to old age has brought ridicule to the now dilapidated house. Demolition is a certainty. It will be gone but not forgotten. Whatever the land is used for my children and grandchildren will keep the memory alive by pointing to where their ancestors homes once stood.

No comments: