Thursday, February 02, 2006

At 430AM I awoke to the predicted severe weather that was forecast last night. As I peered out the window, the street light, along with the flashes of lightning, gave me a glimpse of blowing rain and a heavy downfall. A thought came to me that none of us can protect ourselves from the elements with certainty that we will not be injured or killed. Chance of tornadoes was high. Should I have evacuated?

What about all the people now residing in Fema trailers? You and I know that trailers can be overturned by high winds. It was suggested last evening that they evacuate to a safer place. Where would they go? We are talking about thousands of people crammed into a small local shelter or two.

When a disaster occurs of Katrina's magnitude it brings far reaching problems well into the future. I have inserted a link to a problem that can arise in the very near future.

Pascagoula Officials Worry Clogged Drains May be Gulf Coast's Next Disaster

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So true. We were up pacing during the storm over here, too. I really wonder how everyone came out this morning... There is no way everyone got through that thing without damage. Unfortunately, the only news we can find this morning is about New Orleans... as usual.