Sunday, February 18, 2007

Enough time has passed since Katrina came ashore and much of the terror of that day has now given way to living in what we are left with today. And what is that? Well I can only speak for myself but the one word that describes how I feel is "disillusionment". At the very beginning of this disaster I was under the illusion that we would get the help we needed, especially since we are americans. Many of you may say we got the help and lots of money poured in to assist us but that is not entirely true. How many of you know that our cities must match a portion of money before federal money starts to come to our much needed aid. If you think about it in a logical way, our cities were devastated and that means revenue is not coming in for the cities to match the federal money. In actuality that would have been known at the very beginning. The 18 months that have passed in south Mississippi shows very little progress. Did you also know that for two other disasters that the federal match was not required? 911 was one of them. So why not for us? I have read many comments made by people who seem to know more about what is going on in our area than the people who live amidst it all. Take it from me.. what is going on in our area is mind boggling. Our state has been so low at the bottom of the totem pole that now I have read where they want to take what happened to us and say it is not the worse catastrophe to happen in our young country. They have got to be kidding or maybe they just don't care what happens to us. It's only those dumb hillbillies in Mississippi ... why bother? I am a French/Creole hillbilly. It's all so childish isn't it? I don't believe those that cast stones could take what we have gone through.

The pace needs to pick up down here as it has been way too long. I still believe that somebody wants us to leave the coast. Are we sitting on oil? Just a thought.

No comments: