Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Well I went driving around today in Pascagoula and all I managed to do was drop my mood to an all time LOW. The sun has been under a cloud for much of the day. I guess I should be thankful that it isn't raining. I am. I can't find many good things to say about where I live anymore. It looks bad. The torn up streets and crooked telephone poles don't add beauty to even new construction. Most lawns probably will not be back to what they should be this spring either. They have been gouged so much by heavy equipment and last summer's drought gave a foothold to bugs that "suck" the life out of grass. I took a few pictures of destroyed homes that seem to just be part of our landscape now. When I read news about how well we are doing, I think I must have overlooked something. Lately, I have been going to Mobile, AL fairly often with my daughter Anita and her family. Yesterday my daughter, Peggy who lives in Gulfport, and I went to Mobile to shop. We had a great time but you know what we enjoyed the most....? The intact, well kept shopping malls which we don't have now. When we saw Dillards which we had in Gulfport before the storm destroyed it, we were silent. We need help, massive help to recover. The longer we are at a standstill the worse things will get. As a Katrina victim I don't have the interest to take all the agendas seriously at this particular time when I have more pressing problems to take care of. Don't get me wrong, I don't entirely disagree with the do-gooders suggestions to raise the taxes on cigarettes or those who work so hard to save all the animals from cruelty and homelessness. Those are good things but PEOPLE, in my opinion, should be sheltered first. A higher tax on cigarettes is not the way to go if it really is all about health. Raising the price does not take care of the health issue, people will find a way to smoke if they choose to. Ban all cigarettes... take them off the market. It's suspect when the higher taxes on the product will bring in higher revenue. Someone remarked that prohibition on alcohol brought greater repercussions. Not to those who have had alcoholics in the family or a drunk driver kill a loved one. It's revenue again. There are so many issues that have taken the focus off the problems we have on the Coast and that shouldn't be. Not in America! Oh Yes! I have read that what happened to us will step up the response to another disaster but what have the american people really learned? I know what I have learned ... that the city of New Orleans and Coastal Mississippi are dispensable!






Blue Tarp


Trailers

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Mom. Those pictures are just... breathtakingly bad. Not bad as in photo quality - but as in subject matter. Geeeeee it really does look that bad doesn't it?

Ruth said...

They haven't been demolished. I wonder if they think they can fix them.. there is new lumber in one of the yards. The sadder things I can't take pictures of are some of the neighborhoods and people are in the houses. I respect their privacy.