Monday, January 23, 2006

After all the insurance hype that has been going on, my compulsion to talk about my dilemma from yet another angle has finally surfaced. From May 2003 to May 2005 I lived with my daughter and son in law. As the size of their family grew and the noise reached a decibel that I could no longer handle at my age, I moved to my own house.

I went to the company that insured my car for $520.00 every six months and also obtained a homeowner's policy for $1701.00 a year. Katrina struck in August 2005 and my home didn't flood. No claim was filed. In November I received a form letter saying they would not be rewriting my policy.

Within days of their letter I obtained a homeowner's policy for $1262.00 a year and every six months on my car at a rate of $383.00. Would be effective December 30th. Was feeling great about the change because it was much lower than previous policies.

On January 17, 06 I received a letter from my new insurance company that reads as follows:

"Recently, an authorized representative conducted an inspection of your home and found it to be in good overall condition. However, we did note that there is minor paint peeling on the fascia. It should be scraped and repainted to prevent any further damage or loss to the fascia.

Prompt attention to these repairs will help you avoid larger expense and enable us to continue to provide you with homeowner's coverage that you have come to know and trust.

We are asking that the repairs to the areas noted be completed as soon as possible. Please forward proof of repairs once the work is complete. Proof of repairs may include, but is not limited to, work receipts, photos or a complete work order.

Please call us so your homeowner's policy can be re-evaluated along with the proof of repairs, prior to its next renewal.

Our ability to continue your property insurance protection and offer you a renewal policy will be based, in part, on your completion of the repairs that have been recommended."

I am not going to have anything done to the fascia but eventually paint it myself. My point here is that I believe they are just trying to recoup some of the money they lost in paying out claims and will drop me anyway as they will many more policyholders.

Also they contradict themselves in the letter by saying repairs to be completed as soon as possible and then later say to call them prior to renewal. My renewal is next December.

Most people don't file claims on real damages to their homes because the premium increases. A $400.00 payout from an insurance company can cost you an additional $1000.00 a year.

Thanks to those who took time to read about yet another situation here in Mississippi. You know, like we don't have enough to contend with!

No comments: