Sunday, January 08, 2006

Sep 1 cont ... What could only be a five mile drive seemed like an eternity as night had fallen and we had to avoid obstacles such as trees and power lines laying across the roads. When we arrived at the house, I quickly unlocked the door and hurried through the house turning on lights to "light" my way to the a/c unit in the hallway. "Hurry, hurry! Get the children inside!" "We can unload the car later!" I realized I was barking out orders like a drill sergeant but earlier I talked about flight or fight where I had chosen to fight and be d----- if I could be stopped now.

The baby needed special attention, the 2 yr. old girl already had what we then diagnosed as dysentary and the 7 and 8 yr. old boys were just plain listless. All of our faces were of a bright red color. NOW we had a chance to recover. The children were bathed as were my daughter and son in law. When my turn came there was no hot water. That's when we discovered the hot water tank wasn't working. We had simply used up what was left in the tank. In the desperate state of being we were in, none of us thought about contaminated water until much later. We were thankful we only drank bottled water.

Our flushed faces took on a paler color as our bodies cooled down. The daughter and her husband slept in my bed with the 2 yr. old girl and the baby girl in a playpen and a baby carrier respectively. I slept with the 7 and 8 yr. old boys in another bedroom. I say slept but during the night I had to move them over so I wouldn't fall from the bed, remove a foot from my back and an occasional arm flung across my face. None of that mattered as we were SAFE and going to live much better than we had during the previous days.

There is something I forgot and wonder how I could have. Daughter had rescued a mother cat and 4 newborn kittens just before Katrina struck. They were bedded down on the back porch. And then there was "Judge", a border collie that stayed inside. He was a great houseguest!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And Judge thanks you for your hospitality... *grin*