Tuesday, January 17, 2006

My entire life I have had a fear of water. Being an avid large mouth bass fisherman, or should I say fisherwoman, I can only imagine how many BIG ones got away because I refused to get in a skiff and go out on the water.

This morning I was awakened by a downpour and immediately jumped from the bed in a panic. When the rain tapered off a thought hit me. Throughout this blog, I have referred to what happened here as a tsunami. Because my daughter had felt numbness in the calves of her legs, I equated this sensation with an earthquake or some disturbance under the water. Bad weather has to be present to bring on a tsunami. Right? Wrong?

It was beautiful in Thailand that day in December 2004 when an earthquake in the Indian Ocean caused a tsunami to form and come ashore. It claimed the lives of thousands and thousands of people.

Something was very unusual about hurricane Katrina. I know there are many people on the Coast who must have experienced this. I hope to hear from a few of them. It will either quell my fears or exacerbate them.

No comments: