Wednesday, January 04, 2006

With Christmas behind me, I will continue with the aftermath of Katrina. The dates may not be accurate as our circumstances were taking a toll mentally as well as physically.

Aug.31 cont.. It is day 3 and our struggle to survive another day was in rapid decline. Depression was setting in living under such deplorable conditions. Sewage had backed up in the house and mold was beginning to grow. Although we had taken the wet carpet from the house water continued to seep through the slab. The flies swarmed because of the rotten meat in the garbage cans. Mosquitos thrived in the heat and dampness. There was no way to keep the insects from coming into the house as we had to open the windows or suffocate.

My anguish in not knowing if my home had survived was becoming increasingly more stressful for me. We didn't have transportation to get to the house. On several occasions the son in law would ride his bicycle in search of ice or milk for the children.. Should I lay yet another burden on him with the request I was going to make?

If my home was still there and livable I could take my daughter and her family to my house where they would be more comfortable. SO I asked and he said YES! Before departure on his bicycle I gave him my keys to bring the car back with him if all was well. Within the hour he drove up with the car. When he walked in the door and looked at me my heart was pounding waiting for him to speak. He simply said, "Your house is fine." I began to cry from a gamut of feelings. They had lost so much and I didn't lose anything. The emotion of that was hard to bear.

Later that day I drove to the house. There was no power and although I knew it would be very uncomfortable to stay the night, I was HOME!

More to come...

No comments: