Friday, January 13, 2006

Friday the 13th ... Not saying I am superstitious or anything but I awoke at 3AM this morning from a sound much needed sleep with my scalp burning and itching. Managed to go back to bed at 430AM and arose again at 900AM feeling like warmed over death. Walked zombie like to get the coffee started and glanced out the window to see low hanging rain clouds. Within 5 minutes those clouds opened up and a deluge of water came from them. Water oh no! A whistling wind started with gusts that were as powerful as Tropical Storm Cindy that hit us in July. Small limbs were hitting the roof, the power was surging off and on. What is this? Haven't we had enough? Most of us living here are already "shell shocked" . Are we to take more? Within 40 mins. it was over. The sun broke through the clouds lighting up "our world" once more.

Many people here have had to speak to counselors. Our way of life can hardly be called a life at all. The itchy scalp that I have with falling hair is related to stress. Reaching out to others is the way I choose to handle the trauma of Katrina.

As the sole resident of my household I don't eat very well as it is too much trouble. Usually I eat tons of junk food. I know it's bad for me but so was Katrina. So this evening I decided to fry a hamburger pattie doused in A1 sauce. Green beans and corn would be my sidedishes. Sounds healthy enough, huh?

I walked out of the kitchen and never gave another thought to what was on the stove. Was sitting at my PC and noticed the room seemed hazy and the smoke detector that I didn't think worked screamed loudly at me. There was smoke in every room of the house. I ducked low and held my breath so as not to be asphyxiated and opened the windows and doors hoping the neighbors would not humiliate me further by calling the fire department.

My dinner was ruined so I toasted two slices of bread that were cut into eight pieces and then dipped them one at a time into a cup of milk. Milk toast? This was topped off with a spoon of Centrum vitamins.


My question is was this caused by Friday the 13th or the lunacy of the aftermath of Katrina?


More to come ....

No comments: