Saturday, January 28, 2006

Living each day with the "mess" that Katrina made of my life and still have to take care of business as usual doesn't seem fair. When I walk out on my backporch and see the torn screens that haven't been replaced because the job isn't large enough to make it worthwhile for a contractor to come give an estimate, I get depressed.

September found me having to find where to get my car tag and renew my license as the penalties for not complying didn't cease because of the storm. Paid property taxes on my home and land that is in my possession. It has been a struggle to do all these things that, a short time ago, were no effort

Then it was time for me to take care of my health so
on December 13, I made an appointment for a consult with the doctor to discuss changing my medications so I could enjoy a better quality of life. I take three drugs for high blood pressure. Lotrel, Plavix and Lipitor. In no particular order they are an ace inhibitor, a calcium channel blocker and a statin drug. One keeps my platelets flowing freely to keep clots from forming, one is to slow the blood pumping through my heart at a lesser pressure and one to lower my cholesterol. I worry about these drugs as if I am in a car accident I will most likely bleed to death. My white blood cells are being compromised and the natural cholesterol that my body produces is being blocked. Oh...I almost forgot. High risk that my kidneys can be damaged along with my liver. Have been on these medicines for over two yrs. and experiencing one side effect after another.

Perhaps the way I started the conversation with the doctor was partly to blame for what ensued. "The reason I have asked for a consult with you is because I would like to feel as well I did before I came here." I proceeded to tell him the side effects I was having and he said "I don't want to treat you, you think you know more than me." "Do you realize the education I have?" All the while I was saying "But doctor .... but doctor...." trying to calm him down. He had me leave his office and I walked out feeling like a "scarlet woman" ......so humiliated. He has a couple of signs in his hallway that say "Remember if you sue, it will also cost you." Perhaps, Katrina has gotten to the doctor, and he lost his professionalism that day. I understand as I don't feel like the person I was five months ago. Our way of life now is surreal.

Tonight on television I watched another church being demolished. The minister said "I don't know what the future holds but I am anxious to walk toward it." So am I!

No comments: