Monday, January 02, 2006



The year 2005 started like any other but in August it ended in devastation for Mississippi. Our slate was wiped clean and now we have a chance to begin again. Most people celebrated the Christmas season regardless of their loss. Even Fema trailers were decorated. One I found particularly interesting was one that was tied with a big red bow like a present. Over the years, my home decorations would get more elaborate. What Katrina has taught me is that simplicity has always been the most beautiful. The big red bow signified to me that there was love within the family who occupied the trailer.

A decorated mantel and a wreath on the door was enough!


2 comments:

BayouMaMa said...

Hi! We've been through the same thing...Rita to the west of us, and Katrina to the east of us. Fortunately, we had very minimal damage...just displaced for a little while. My parents' home is unlivable due to Rita's storm surge. My husband has several family members who's homes no longer even exist due to Katrina. What a year this has been!

I totally agree...simplicity is best. It is touching to see Katrina and Rita survivors decorating for Christmas, despite all of the trials they faced this year.

Ruth said...

Thank you bayou. Yes it has been quite a year. Three of my four daughters were affected in some way by Katrina. I was very lucky. I sure do appreciate things more. Thanks for stopping by. Things are going to get better for all of us.