Monday, January 16, 2006

Hazel called me today. You ask who is that? Should I care? Hazel is a victim of Hurricane Katrina that I met while volunteering for a non profit organization from Minnesota. You can read about these wonderful, caring people who work tirelessly for victims of disasters. They have been a godsend to Mississippi.

minnesotahelpers.org

My conversation with Hazel was like talking to a friend. She said for two days she wanted to call but didn't want to sound like she was begging. I can understand that. You see Hazel and many, many more like her had all the things that they so deperately need now and it isn't easy to ask for something as ordinary as a skillet, pots and pans, and a set of sheets for her bed. She couldn't decide on the size of the sheets as she lives in a Fema trailer and she didn't want sheets for the small trailer. She is envisioning pretty sheets on the king size bed she once had.

I prompted Hazel to tell me what SHE would like and she said "I wish I had a dress as I always wore one when attending church." I thought about the black dress that was sent from Minnesota. Her wish just might come true.

Hazel lost her home in 1969 when Camille devastated the coast and once again she has lost another due to Katrina. Lightning does strike twice!

I probably am one of the nicest people one may ever meet but I also am a determined woman and the heartwrenching things I see almost every day has prompted me to BEG. Mississippi needs help! Lots of help to live a normal life again. The people here are just like all of you in every state. There are husband and wives, children, grandma's, grandpa's and many widows like Hazel and myself. As one American to another, we need YOU!

No comments: