Thursday, January 19, 2006

Today we are in Pascagoula, Ms. as a couple of helping hands for a non profit organization from Minnesota. Mary Gray is the CEO and founder. You can read more about this wonderful group by going to minnesotahelpers.org

Volunteer work is hard work but the most rewarding work I have ever done. My daughter and I were tired as we were up late packing boxes with items people were in need of. What we couldn't fit into the box, we carried. As the picture shows, only a woman can manage to carry many things and not drop one. My chin is bowed slightly to hold the mattress cover in place.

Teamwork completed our mission in under two hours. Next picture is a house under repair. The request of aid for necessities here was not for the resident but for her mother.

Has your heart broken in two, as mine has, for the plight of all the victims of a storm said to be the worse natural disaster in the United States? My daughter's home sustained major damage. My damages are what I call minor irritations. Over the years, I have lived in Biloxi, Gulfport and now once more in my hometown, Pascagoula. I personally know people all along the coast and I grieve for their losses. A building we once conducted business from was damaged by Camille and laid to rest by Katrina. Historical homes that were our heritage were destroyed. Majestic oaks that are hundreds of years old, now show their age. Despite this, Mississippians are courageous people and although many struggles lie ahead, we will rebuild for the future generation.

More to come ...

No comments: