Monday, January 09, 2006


It has been over four months since Katrina made landfall and it would take me at least a year to write about it in detail so I have decided to still speak of Katrina but in a different way. It will affect our lives for a very long time but we will overcome. We will be made whole again and our children and grandchildren will be here to see a new Mississippi. It's right over the horizon! A new beginning!

Dave, Anita and grandchildren stayed with me for 12 days and then returned to their home where they are making repairs to their house. A slow process but accomplishments are being made.

Another daughter and her two sons lived in an apartment in Slidell, Louisiana and had evacuated to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to a private church shelter. Their apartment was destroyed. An older daughter in Florida helped her sister get to her home where she stayed a few days before going to a hotel. The Red Cross picked up the tab. I sent money to bring her and the boys here with me until she could get back on her feet. They stayed a month and she returned to Florida where she is doing well.

I also have a daughter in Gulfport, Mississippi. Her home sustained only roof damage. She is an avid gardener and in June of 2005 there was a glowing article with pictures of her beautiful yards. Katrina swept the garden away.

Although my home was spared my sufferings came from the afflictions heaped on my daughters and their children. Before I end this post, I would like to give special thanks to my older daughter for her concern about the welfare of her sisters.

May God Bless You My Daughters!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Love you too Mary. Thank you!