Monday, December 11, 2006

I spent most of the weekend catching up on the local happenings. Lately, I haven't really reported much as the way things are progressing here is too slow and really doesn't make much sense to me. I am a "priority" person. The important issue to me is the people first. They make the communities what they are. There are still near 30,000 Fema trailers with two or three living in each one so the governor is asking the government for a year's extension until they can find suitable housing. Where? I can only speak of the area I live in first hand. I get my info on the other coastal cities from whatever the news media reports. There isn't much going on in the Pascagoula/Moss Point area as far as affordable houses or apartments being built. Sure the major debris has been cleared but most of our streets need repaving and we need lighting restored around town. The only word I can use to accurately describe how things look here is "rough".

We have excessive car wrecks, we have had a few bank robberies, we have had many suicides, we have had kids taking guns to school, we have had violent fights in school and most alarming is the increase in murders. These things are a part of what happens after a major disaster. There is a feeling of desperation as the people scramble to put their destroyed lives back together. That desperation has a far reach to even city officials. How overwhelming their jobs must be trying to make the right decisions for their towns while contending with losses themselves.

We need immediate relief for our people and their families. Hearing about all the wondrous plans for the future of the Coast may never happen and, if they do, it will be many years. In the meantime, the people here deserve the right to live a normal life once again.

No comments: