Tuesday, December 05, 2006


Well last night's temps didn't go as low as expected and I , for one, am thankful for that. Temps in the "teens" or 20's result in nothing more than burst pipes and I can tell you from experience that is one big pain. I was living in Gulfport at the time when I heard the sound of water continously running in a bathroom wall. I had a plumber come to the house and after sizing up the house and the situation that I was in, he said, "Lady you have a BIG problem." "The way the pipes are connected in the walls they all run to the main pipe located under the slab." We will have to take out most of the walls and rivet our way through the floors to reach the main pipe." My heart stopped beating momentarily and then I found my voice saying, "You have got to be putting me on, you expect me to believe that I have to destroy my house to repair a leaky pipe?" He said, "Take it or leave it." I left it and called another son in law to come and advise me on what to do. He and I were walking with flashlights in the front yard searching for this leaky pipe when we stepped into a "soggy" spot in the lawn. He started digging and there it was. Bright and early the next morning, I called a plumber we had known for years and he sent someone who "clamped" off the pipe. Problem solved! It would have cost me well over a $100,000 to put the house back to normal. As it turned out, it only cost me $260.00.

I tell people I had my "Katrina" many years before she appeared.

No comments: