Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hope Arises From Rubble

Today is a typical spring day down South with azure skies, azaleas blooming and a cool March breeze. A setting that makes me want to clean, clean, clean! This morning even the raingutters on the house didn't escape my notice as they have been overflowing when it rains. It was a pretty simple but dirty job. Most importantly, I didn't fall from the ladder.

Later in the afternoon I went for my usual drive. The water in the Mississippi Sound was a bit choppy but was a perfect backdrop for the gorgeous day.


Beach Boulevard is where I begin my sightseeing to note if there has been any progress. There are still homes that weren't demolished because I think they were declared structurally sound and can be saved. The house below faces the beach.


There was a buzz of activity on Washington Avenue today, more than I have seen in these last months. Amidst the rubble new homes are rising at higher elevations. What could be a better time than the season of spring to see new beginnings.




The next picture was taken west of So. Pascagoula Street, one block from beach.


Sorry I didn't have more to show you but I think the people are coming back. They have had almost 7 months to discuss options and now it is time to rebuild their lives. Fear of what may happen can not guide any of our lives or we would beome too frightened to live in the present. I have been known to say in any tragedy that I encountered in my own life (and there have been a few) "Cry some, dust yourself off and journey on."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Neat! Thanks for the picture of the water... I don't get to see it too often these days. It's great to see people rebuilding. It's about time.

Ruth said...

Thank you daughters!