Saturday, March 18, 2006

With all the complaints about the news being focused on New Orleans I am afraid that people may think that Mississippi doesn't care. Many of you have now been to both states and have seen the devastation inflicted on all of us by hurricane Katrina and can sense the stress we are under.

For the years I have lived in Mississippi, New Orleans has been our friend. When Camille struck in 1969, N.O. was one of the first to rush to our aide. The parishes surrounding N.O. all had extensive damage inflicted by hurricane Katrina as did Slidell, Louisiana, a small community bordering the state of Mississippi.

When hurricane Rita made landfall September 24, 2005 along the Texas/Louisiana border, Beaumont and Port Arthur were heavily damaged as was Holly Springs and Cameron in Louisiana. I and family evacuated to Atlanta, Georgia as our emotions were so affected by Katrina that we fled the possible wrath of yet another hurricane.

I can only speak for myself on how all this devastation has changed my life. At present I can't say that it has made my life better or happier. I am more fearful, have trouble concentrating or speaking. The war in Iraq weighs heavily on my mind. There can be no lasting peace for any of us until the fighting stops. "Those who live by the sword, shall perish by the sword."

New Orleans I wish you and all of Louisiana godspeed in your recovery and to the border communities in Texas, may your recovery be swift.

No comments: