Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A total of 89 college students travelled 26 hrs. on a bus to help the people of Pascagoula. They gave their spring break time to lend a helping hand. Thirty six are from Nazareth College near Rochester, N. Y. and fifty three are from upstate New York colleges.

Their thoughts were since almost 6 1/2 months had passed that Mississippi would only need minor cleanup and not the large rebuilding tasks they encountered. They have most enthusiastically helped the local people with cleanups, repairing homes, fixing fences, hanging doors and many more things that couldn't be listed in the Mississippi Press news article.

I have read many articles like this over the past months and my first reaction is always how great people are in their desires to help us, and they are. But you know, we all have this little angel that sits on our right shoulder and a little imp on our left. The angel says, "Isn't that wonderful?" The imp says, "Wonderful? "How come no one has helped you?" I find myself asking the same question. How come I never know where these helpers are so I can ask for help? Why do I find out when they are leaving? My Katrina torn screens were fixed and exterior of house was painted and not by volunteers. I asked constantly but there was no one to help me. Storm hit August 29, 2005 and repairs completed March 3, 2006. I have a wooden fence that encloses most of my backyard. One length leans inward and the other leans outward. I mentioned in the above paragraph about the fence that was rebuilt and I can't honestly object as the lady is my first cousin. She is a widow as I am. I like to think that help may be coming closer to me since a family member received assistance.

Just for another human being to ask me how I am coping would be enough. Maybe I would just say, "Everything is fine, thank you for asking".

My daughter's post gave me the answer to what I am feeling and I think you will enjoy her perspective. TRUST

No comments: