Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Hope For Recovery Dwindles

WLOX-TV - The News for South Mississippi: Katrina Home Grant Application Process Starts Mid-April: "Barbour said about 29,000 homeowners could qualify for the federal grants of up to $150,000 each. That's down from a previous estimate of 35,000 who could qualify."

Since I am out scouting around quite often taking pics of damaged houses, the above comment from Governor Barbour disturbs me. The figure of 29,000 for those who can "possibly" or "could" get assistance is too low. The Pascagoula/Moss Point area alone has that many people needing assistance. What about Gautier/Ocean Springs? Biloxi/Gulfport? Long Beach/Pass Christian? Bay St. Louis/Waveland? Do you think 29,000 grants will help all these people? I don't. So many are going to "fall through the cracks".

As usual I am going to post some pics that can become mundane to you but what I am depicting is the way of life here for many, many people.

Although Senator Trent Lott's house once faced the beach, I snapped the pic on Hague Street that runs alongside his property. All that is left are oak trees. I chose the most beautiful. Notice the adjoining neighbors on the beach that now reside in trailers.


The street that dead ends at the rear of the senator's property is Washington Avenue. Maybe you have asked yourself why I do all the blogging and picture taking. I consider the coast in its entirety my home. Pascagoula is "special" because I was born here. Also the news media can be biased calling us bigots and discriminators. Recently, they have been reporting every issue that has occurred in Mississippi. Be it last week or 45 yrs. ago. I find their remarks somehow detract from our present condition. Because of their attitude toward us, I want you, the american people, to know what has happened to our state.

Washington Avenue

The above gutted house is not the same one that I am going to post below. My focus was on the advertisment in the person's front yard. There are various signs all through the residential sections. I admired the house below, it was very well kept and in a scenic area. The black wrought iron fence added the "charm".

Washington Avenue



After visiting the above area, I decided to drive to Moss Point and there I took two pics. One is an unusual house under construction. Can't wait to see it completed!

Moss Point

The next pic was interesting because of the transparent tent in the front yard. I remembered when trailer parks were few in number and tents were used for camping. Life, as we knew it, did change in a blink of an eye.

Moss Point

It had been a long day so I headed home and later when looking at what had been captured on the camera I found a pic that I have no recollection of. "A picture that paints a thousand words."

No comments: