Friday, March 10, 2006

There are more serious things I could talk about and I will a little later in this post but at this moment I want to shout instead and give three cheers for the beauty that is about to unfold. Spring is showing its loveliness in subtle ways and I can hardly wait. No matter the surroundings, green lawns and flowers can make even our devastated areas look better. The cities have begun scattering rye grass on bare lots where homes once stood. Even I have opted for a lively front entrance, a deviation from the safe neutral color that surrounds the rest of the house.


In preparation for the return of the birds to the area, I have hung a couple of birdhouses on the tree branches. Notice the smashed fence and the leaning trees.


The flower beds that encircle the backporch will soon be filled with ginger lilies that emit a most pleasing aroma.


Thanks for being patient with me. I know when you visit my blog that you come to read about the storm and the devastation but, you see, this is my part of the storm. I was one of the very lucky ones who didn't lose my home but yet I have suffered. Suffered for the deep hurt of all the people, the desperation and hopelessness they feel, the children wondering why this happened, a husband worrying about how to take care of his family. My daughter and thousands like her lost so many things that can't be replaced. Two nieces and a nephew sustained heavy damage to their homes. One niece has only a slab where her beautiful home once stood. Even though their lives have been shattered, they bravely go on and ... I hurt.

I wanted to evacuate when the storm was out in the Gulf but my daughter didn't feel well as her new baby was born on August 12th, so I stayed. It was the most terrifying experience I have ever had and one that is not easy to shrug off and go on as usual. It's consuming.

Only God knows how long it will take us to get back to normal. People from all over have given us so much help. An upside for us but a downside for their own families that need them.

I pray that the beginning of spring is the harbinger of something miraculous for us and all the good men and women who have opened their hearts with love to help a hurting people.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh.. You know I got the 'spring fever' trait from you. Some springish mornings I find myself coming dangerously close to skipping around the yard singing something from 'The Sound of Music'. I didn't realize how much your azaleas had opened already!!

Ruth said...

Thanks Anita! I have once voiced my feelings using a song Somewhere Over The Rainbow and have to agree that Sound of Music is perfect.

Soon we will be skipping around our yards carrying an umbrella to the tune of Singing In The Rain. Love you.

Unknown said...

I don't know about that one... rain still scares me senseless! LOL