Monday, March 20, 2006

It's Raining Trailers In Pascagoula

I took some pictures today to show you the trailers in our area. I do a terrible job trying to take pictures and drive at the same time. I have pretty good shots of the interior of the car, don't I? So bear with me please. Many of you will know the areas mentioned. There is Cherokee off Ingalls Avenue, Washington Avenue, a block from the beach and the Lake Avenue area.

Sometimes I feel so alone driving the routes I take as there are very few cars on the road. No scenic beauty anymore. I can almost touch the heartache that fills the air and the silence is deafening. Like a one man cheering squad I make my rounds through their neighborhoods thinking that maybe somehow they know someone really cares that they have to live this way.

Cherokee

Cherokee

Cherokee

Washington Avenue was very upscale, many physicians and attorneys made their homes there. The homes from the beach washed into the homes on Washington and totally obliterated them, adding insult to injury. Many of the homes have now been bulldozed and what was once beautiful is now a desert.

Washington Avenue

Washington Avenue

Washington Avenue

Washington Avenue

As if I hadn't seen enough, I decided to ride through Lake Avenue. It wasn't too bad but remember I have been living in this awhile now and a person can somehow get used to it. It happens. There are only a few pics so I decided to put a house that you might find interesting knowing it is over six months since the storm.

Lake Avenue

Lake Avenue


Lake Avenue

There wasn't much to see in these pics except trailers but try to imagine what it would be like living this way after once having beautiful things. It is true that it can all disappear when you least expect it, Mississippi sure didn't.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the pictures. I've been tempted to go out and take pictures of every single trailer.... and post them... Just to give people a real sense of the scale of what it's like here. But then I stop myself because I realize it would take up a lot of space and get rather dull quickly.

I did run out and count the trailers in our neighborhood tonight when I was walking the dog... I counted 54. Considering that there were many more like us on our surrounding streets who never got a trailer... I think that's staggering.

Amazing what we do get used to though. :) Great post.. thanks!

Ruth said...

Thanks Anita. I had to stop myself to not take any more pics of the trailers or else I could have posted many more and taken a chance that blogger might throw me off site. lol