Saturday, March 10, 2007

I am going to start this post in perhaps an unusual way. Remember my old camera died, which I knew everything about, my new camera, which I didn't know anything about, arrived in February. After a little practice, I was ready to go. I did notice that the pictures I took compared to my old camera were huge. I didn't like that but I thought there wasn't anything that could be done with it. Yet another "new- fangled" thing. Well, let's just make this long story short, I thought the pictures were automatically stored at Kodak without any assistance from me. Wrong! So for 6 weeks I had these "hulking" pictures stored on MY Pc and had no idea that the computer was suffocating from lack of space until I tried to copy the pictures on to a CD for extra backup. With suggestions from my daughter, Anita, my own ingenuity and much prayer .... I got the monsters off my computer and laid them on Kodak's doorstep. Whew! I also reset the camera from the highest setting to the lowest. Although the pictures still appear large, believe me they are not devouring space anymore.

Well we have a strike at the shipyard here in Pascagoula. Just what we need huh? Now we have some immigrant workers from India complaining that Signal International is mistreating them because they sleep in a room with 24 others and there are only 2 bathrooms (in the entire shipyard). Now that would be tough! More than 280 of them arrived here in approximately November 06. They came in under the H-2-B visa program to fill the lack of manpower at Signal. Of course, a Mississippi Rights Alliance representative was present and threw in a "trump" card and said it was no more than "legalized slavery". I am not quite sure what she meant as they came here to make money and they get paid with money. Somehow the word slavery is used as a battering ram to get what one wants. What would the world be without dissenters?

I am concerned about the Ingalls strike as there are contracts to be fulfilled. We have been hurt enough without jeopardizing our largest employer. In reading an article, a woman striker said that they build the ships and they needed to be paid more for it. Things surely haven't changed that much since I worked at the yard years ago. We all played a "part" in the operation of the corporation but, as anywhere, there were positions for higher skilled people who received higher compensation than others. I respected that and was content in what I contributed.

Well I still have a slight fever and this is day 12. Slowly, it is going away .. must be my age! Or I read where Peter Pan peanut butter has a recall on back to October 2004. Hmmm! I did go riding around today and snapped a few pictures. The first couple of pictures are several blocks from the beach.



Same House As Above


Near Downtown


OLV Church Rectory

See ya!

No comments: